building is sombre and dignified, the front finished in rock-faced
granite, with close chiselled dressings, and the sides are of elvan
filling with granite dressings. The windows on all sides are large
and uncluttered, classical and expansive in style, contrasting with
the formidable Norman Arch porch with its heavily panelled outer doors
and the granite balcony above. The leaded coloured glass panels in
the top third of the outer doors, and those in the oak framed arch
above, let in a warm,
light, though their simple geometric designs are decoration only.
The circular pattern of glass and lead above the door is reminiscent
of a dart board, an ironic prediction of the
predominately leisure use of the building in the future.
interior is much lighter and brighter than the outside, even on a
winters day. There is much use of genuinly rich brown timber for the
staircase and panelling up the stairs, set off by plain, plaster walls
painted a pale colour.
Description of the Institute taken
from "The Hayle Institute" by Patricia Adams, 1996.
The Hayle Institute
was started in 1893 to provide training for local men when Hayle
was suffering from a decline in the mining industry, a decline from
which Hayle has yet to recover.
Edwards had been a frequent visitor to Hayle, visit his brother James
and his parents who had moved to Phillack, up until the early 1860's.
Whilst undertaking these home visits he had given lectures nearby,
perhaps to fund the visit, and was well awre of the lack of educational
and leisure opportunities that existed.