building, which has been erected by Mr.J Passmore Edwards in memory
of his brother, William P. Edwards, who died in London, and presented
to the inhabitants of St. Agnes, his native parish, is situated on
the side of the main thoroughfare leading to the town, and is built
on land purchased, also by Mr. Edwards, of Mr. J. G. Engs, which has
a very commanding position".
building comprises billiard-room, 24ft. by 18ft.; reading-room, 24ft.
by 18ft; committee-room, l6ft. by l4ft., together with hall-lobby,
lavatory, cloak-room, store-room, etc and, being in an elevated position,
is approached by a flight of granite steps. The dressings in front
are of granite closely chiselled, with fillings of good local quarry
stone of a dark brown colour with natural faces, nicely squared, and
built in random courses. All other walls are built in random nobbling.
The coping to gables, finials, and stringcourses are of granite finely
cut, also archway in front entrance, over which there is a massive
granite pediment, with suitable mono-ram and date cut thereon in raised
letters. The roofs on the inside are open-timbered, and are stained
and varnished. On entering the building there is a suitable glass
screen dividing the lobby from the hall, with marginal leadlight work
introduced, having a very nice effect. All the interior woodwork is
of red and pitch pine varnished. The hall and lobby floors are laid
in tile. The whole of the rooms are well lighted and ventilated, and
the windows have marginal transom lights filled in with rolled cathedral
glass in approved tints. The grounds are inclosed with a strongly-built
wall, with heavy rockwork granite coping; the main posts of rock face
a granite, with a massive cast-iron gate to entrance, the whole forming
a complete finish to the building". Extract
from Building News, 13 April 1894.