|No image available
||When Passmore Edwards opened
the Public Library at Canning Town, in February 1893, he received
representations to provide a much needed new wing for the West Ham
Hospital, a request that he was pleased to accept.
Drawings were prepared by the Hon architect to the hospital, Lewis
Angell and Passmore Edwards laid the memorial stone in April 1894
and returned, in September 1895, to open the completed wing.
|The new wing provided two wards each of 12 beds and
Passmore Edwards also furnished and equiped one of the wards, which
was named the "Eleanor Edwards Ward", after his wife. The
other ward was equiped by Mr J R Roberts, who had also gifted £1000
towards the hospital fund. The teachers, friendly societies and masonic
lodges, all of which had representatives at the opening ceremony,
had contributed towards supporting the maintenance and operation of
the extended hospital.