|Image on this page supplied by "Images
of London". Click on image to visit their website.
||With a population of 60,000
and increasing at about 7,000 per year, there was a pressing need
for the Parish of Willesden to provide a hospital. A Hospital Building
Committee was formed, under the chairmanship of Sir E Bradford Leslie,
to raise funds and work was commenced on a small 6 bed hospital designed
by Messers Newman & Newman.
Unfortunately the rate of construction was greater than the success
of obtaining a positive response to the appeal and the Committee were
faced with not being able to even pay the builder never mind equiping
the building for hospital use..
|An appeal was made to the public through the press but
which elicited one response. This was from Passmore Edwards who responded
by offering to pay the whole cost of the hospital so that the money
already raised could be put aside for future maitenance and running
The hospital was duly opened in July 1893 by Miss Balfour, the sister
of the Right Hon A J Balfour MP, then the Parliamentary leader of
|Erected in Harlesden Lane, Willesdon, the hospital occupied
a site of about half an acre acquired from the All Souls' College
Under the control of Dr J S Brookfield the need
for the hospital was soon proven and within no more than three months
it was operating at full capacity. After three years the decison
was taken to enlarge the hospital and once again a subscription
was launched to pay for the costs, only to be met once more by an
unsatisfactory response. Passmore Edwards again came to the rescue
and offered to pay for the addition of two new wings to the original
building, increasing accommodation to 24 beds, and Newman &
Newman were commissioned to provide the drawings.
|Building commenced in 1898 and the completed hospital
was reopened, as the Passmore Edwards Hospital for Willesden, on 13
May 1899 by Lady and Sir Henry Campbell-Bannerman.