London Argus of 11 April 1903, gave this account to the building
of the Passmore Edwards, Camberwell, Library.
New Library and Baths.
An Interesting Building.
At an early
date an interesting addition will be made to the public institutions
of South London, in the shape of a handsome block of buildings in
Wells-street, Camberwell, comprising under one roof a public library
and baths and washhouses. Erected from designs by Mr Maurice B Adams,
FRIBA, of Clement's House, Clement's Inn passage, Strand, WC, the
structure is a striking example of the effective application of
artistic principles to the practical requirements of everyday life.
It is also interesting as an embodiment of the modern public spirit,
which is covering local London with institutions designed to minister
to the comfort and welfare of the inhabitants.
foundation stone of the building was laid, with considerable ceremony
in the presence of the Lord Mayor and the Sheriffs, by Lady Llangattack
on July 25th 1901. Following the stone laying there was a reception
in the evening by the Mayor (Mr Matthew Wallace, CC) and the Mayoress.
The general view of the new buildings given on this page will convey
a good impression of their character. By the arrangements made a maximum
of light is secured for the library, which of course, stands most
in need of it.