Passmore Edwards' brother, Richard, was a member of the Hammersmith
Vestry from May 1885 until his death on 19 February 1894. He served
on various Committees and was a prime mover in the movement to establish
a public library in Hammersmith. Shortly after his death Passmore
Edwards wrote to the Vestry offering to erect in the Broadway a drinking
fountain "to cost at least £500, in memory of his brother.
Works Committee recommended that the offer be accepted with thanks
and The West London Observer, 6 July 1895 reported that, after laying
the foundation stone of the new library at Shepherds Bush, Mr J Passmore
Edwards and the company proceeded to the Broadway where Mr Passmore
Edwards unveiled the drinking fountain. It was erected by the Metropolitan
Drinking Fountain and Cattle Trough Association and cost about £600.
It was of polished Cornish granite and surmounted by a lamp of 350
The drinking fountain, sited in the centre of a busy thoroughfare,
was soon considered a danger. In June 1910 after an inquest on a child
run over in the Broadway, the coroner wrote to the council about the
fountain's "dangerous attraction to children for water".
The widening of the Broadway for the construction of the London County
Council's tramway meant that the fountain had to be removed.